Over 50 Resume Quick Tip – #3 – Work Experience
It’s all in the details.
For years the your resume has been a statement of your experience. You worked hard for that experience and you want to tell everyone about it. But did you know that all that experience reveals your age? Based on desired criteria, resume search algorithms may stop your resume from reaching the desk of a prospective employer because of your experience and education. In today’s job search, virtually all jobs are found via the internet. Dot COMs like Indeed, Monster, About, CareerBuilder, LinkedIn, Snagajob and others list 99% of all jobs available in the open market. Unless you were a Fortune 500 executive, and you are over age 45, then you need to try to carefully avoid dates. When writing your resume it is recommended by multiple career experts that you:
- Limit your work experience to 10 years.
- List your education but leave dates off.
- Limit the education you show to your last college if possible.
- Avoid adding dates to job search sites.
- If you have college records leave high school information off completely.
For more information regarding this, research with key words age bias and resumes.